Calton Hill - Calton Hill information and pictures
city centre and is just east of the New Town
offering splendid views of the city. Three monuments were built on Calton Hill. Two of them The National Monument and the Dugald Stewart Monument have Greek influenced architecture.
Dugald Stewart Monument
was built in 1831 and was designed by William Henry Playfair and is dedicated to the Scottish philosopher Dugald Stewart. It is based on the Choragic Monument of Lysicrates in Athens, Greece
The National Monument
is modeled on the Parthenon in Athens
and was designed by Charles Robert Cockerell in 1822. It was dedicated to the soldiers who died in the Napoleonic Wars.
is a tower commemorating Admiral Horatio Nelson and his triumph over the Spanish and French navy at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805. The monument was designed by Robert Burn to look like a telescope. It was built between 1807 and 1815 and later a building was added which looks like a base of the tower. The top of Nelsonís monument is adorned with a mast.
Calton Hill also is a home of the Scottish Government headquarters and The Scottish Parliament Building.
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Calton Hill here