Edinburgh Castle - Edinburgh Castle information and pictures
was built on the top of an extinct volcano and is Edinburgh’s top tourist attraction. The buildings of the Edinburgh castle were gradually added during the centuries but the original buildings were erected in the 6th century by King Edwin. During the centuries the Edinburgh castle was used as a fortress, royal palace, prison and military garrison.
The road to the castle leads past the 18th century Governor`s House, the New Barracks, and the St Margaret`s Chapel. The Crown Square is located at the southern side of the chapel. St Margaret’s Chapel
is considered to be oldest remaining building in the castle. It dates back to the 12th century and has stained glass windows depicting the saint queen Margaret, the wife of Malcolm III.
The Royal Palace
has on display Scottish regalia. The Scottish crown is also on display at the palace. The Great Hall
with its marvelous open-timber roof was where the Scottish parliament used to meet until 1639. The vaults are situated at the west side of the Crown Square. They had served as prison cells for the French captives during the Napoleonic period. The eastern side is occupied by the Royal Palace. The ground floor contains a small room called the Birth Chamber. Here, Mary, Queen of Scots, gave birth to King James VI.
Edinburgh Castle offers spectacular and rewarding views over the city. The entrance to the castle also marks the beginning of the Royal Mile
– the main street in the Old Town of Edinburgh.
Where is Edinburgh Castle: Castle Hill (beginning of the Royal Mile)
Opening Times: Daily from 9:30 AM to 6:00PM; during the winter is opened until 5:00PM
Visit the Edinburgh Castle official web site here
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Edinburgh Castle here