Palace of Holyroodhouse - Palace of Holyroodhouse information and pictures
Palace of Holyroodhouse
dates back almost 9 centuries and marks the end of the Royal Mile
. The present Holyrood Palace was built in 1529 for King James V. The Palace contained a chapel, royal apartments, great hall and gallery. Mary, Queen of Scots lived in the palace during her reign between 1561 and 1567.
Palace of Holyroodhouse was later remodeled by Charles II in 1670 though he never saw the new Palace.
The Royal Apartments are renowned for their brilliant plasterwork ceilings, outstanding furnishings and have unrivalled set of Brussels tapestries. One of the most famous rooms in the Palace is the Great Gallery with portraits of the Kings of Scotland.
King George V and Queen Mary held the first garden party at Holyrood Palace and the tradition has been sustained to the present day. Today Palace of Holyroodhouse is the official Scottish residence of the Queen.
Where is Palace of Holyroodhouse: End of Royal Mile, Abbey Strand
Opening Hours: Daily
November -20 March
22 March to October
Visit the Palace of Holyroodhouse official web site here
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Palace of Holyroodhouse here