Accademia - Accademia information and pictures
Accademia (Gallerie dell’Accademia)
is a gallery situated in the sestiere of Dorsoduro. The convent has maintained its solemn appearance for hundreds of years, with the assistance of Carlo Scarpa, Palladio, and Bartolomeo Bon. The trophies Napoleon brought here have given a sense of drama and tragedy to the place.
The museum-gallery is dedicated to pre-19th century Venetian art and originally started as an art school. In 1750, it was established by the Venetian Senate as a school of architecture, sculpture, and painting. The Gallerie dell'Accademia became one of the first centers for the restoration of artworks. Among the teachers were Alberto Viani, Arturo Martini, Tiepolo, and Emilio Vedova.
The Academia moved to its current location and was named Accademia Reale di Belle Arti in 1807. Under Napoleon’s rule, the administration disbanded a number of institutions, including The Scuole Grandi, covenants, and some churches. The church of Santa Maria della Carità, Convento dei Canonici Lateranensi, and Scuola della Carità became the home to the Academia.
Today, the gallery features masterpieces of Venetian art, with thematic exhibitions arranged in a chronological order. Represented artists include Giulio Carpioni, Lazzaro Bastiani, and Giovanni Bellini, a famous Italian painter known for his use of a more colouristic style.
Room 1 displays works of art by early Venetian painters, including Lorenzo Veneziano and Paol Veneziano. In room 2, visitors enjoy masterpieces from the 15th and 16th centuries, such as Carpaccio’s Crucifixion and pieces by Cima da Conegliano and Giovanni Bellini. Rooms 3 – 5 feature works of art from the early Renaissance, including Mantegna’s St George and series of Madonnas by Bellini. Room 6 includes John the Baptist by Titian and The Creation of the Animals by Jacopo Robusti. Room 7 displays Lotto’s Young Man in His Study, which is regarded as one of the finest works the artist ever painted.
Rooms 8 and 9 include works of art from the 16th century. Christ in the House of Levi by Paolo Veronese is on display in room 10. The leaders of the Inquisition condemned Veronese for showing dogs, dwarfs, and drunkards, but he agreed to change the title of the painting only. The figures Veronese painted – gamblers, servants, and Moorish traders – create an ensemble, in which every detail is important.
Other works on display include St Mark Rescues a Slave, St Marks Saves a Saracen, and The Thief of the Body of St Mark by Tintoretto. There are 15th, 16th, and 17th century works of art, with masterpieces like Blessed Lorenzo Giustinian by Gentile Bellini and series of triptychs by Giovanni Bellini. Room 20 reprises Vittore Carpaccio and Gentile Bellini, with crowds of merchants depicted in a Venetian-style version of Miracles of the True Cross.
The gallery gets very busy; so, plan your visit and book tickets in advance. Tourists who visit towards the end of the day or around lunchtime will avoid the crowds.
Where is Accademia: Campo della Carita, Dorsoduro district; Accademia Bridge is the second bridge built over the Grand Canal
How to get to the Accademia: By vaporetto- Accademia stop
Opening Hours: Daily from 8:15AM to 7PM; Mondays to 2PM
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Accademia here