Doge’s Palace - Doge’s Palace information and pictures
Doge’s Palace (Palazzo Ducale)
is also located on Piazza San Marco
right next to Basilica di San Marco
. In the 9th century it used to be a fortified castle but was destroyed by a fire. The building that we see today was built in the 14th and 15th centuries. Pink Verona marble was used on the outside with a portico supported by Istrian stone columns. The gallery windows which were made in quatrefoil patterns create elegant and delicate tracery. This typical 15th century Venetian Gothic style can be identified in many palazzi throughout the city. The Doge’s Palace is a mix of Gothic and Oriental elements.
For centuries the Doge’s Palace was the home of the Doge, the seat of the government of the Republic and the Palace of Justice. Inside Palazzo Ducale was decorated lavishly designed to impress the foreign ambassadors.
The State apartments were the Doge’s private apartments on the second floor of the building. A giant golden staircase (Scala d’Oro)
designed by Jacopo Sansovino and built between 1538 and 1559 lead to the apartments. They have lavishly decorated ceilings with paintings and gilded ornate carvings. The ceiling in Sala del Collegio
was painted by Veronese in 1577; The apartments also feature picture gallery with masterpieces by Bellini and Carpaccio.
Sala del Quattro Porte
is the first room on the third floor of the council chambers. It was designed by Andrea Palladio and painted by Tintoretto in 1574.
Sala del Maggior Consiglio
is probably the most splendid hall in the Doge's Palace. It is the Hall of the Great Council and has monumental proportions. It has frescoes by Veronese and Tintoretto. A huge painting by Tintoretto called "Paradise” is on the eastern wall of the hall. It measures 7.45m -24.65 m. It is one of the largest in the world. Both masters Veronese and Tintoretto have contributed enormously to decorate this remarkable building. Their works of art are in almost every room and hall at the palace.
From the Hall of the Great Council a passage leads to the Bridge of Sighs Ponte dei Sospiri
. The Bridge of Sighs links the Doge's Palace with the prisons built in the mid 16th century. In the past the bridge was crossed by prisoners and offenders on their way to prison and has a see-through frame with a view of the lagoon.
Where is Palazzo Ducale: Piazzetta, San Marco district
Opening hours: Daily from 9AM to 7PM; 5PM during the winter
How to get to the Doge’s Palace: By vaporetto- San Marco stop
Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Doge’s Palace here