Max-Joseph Platz - Max-Joseph Platz information and pictures

In Munich you will find lots of Platzes(squares). Max-Joseph Platz is located between Odeonsplatz and Marienplatz in central Munich, Germany. The square got its name from Maximilian I, also known as Maximilian Joseph, the prince-elector of Bavaria for the period 1799-1805, before he became a king of Bavaria (1806-1825).

The square was laid out in 1806, with the crowning of Max-Joseph in the new Kingdom of Bavaria. The place was built alongside the National Theatre Munich (east), which opened in 1818. To the west of the square’s Corinthian columns lie middle class houses. The Munich Residence is situated to the north, with the King’s tract lying to the south.

An interesting structure, the Residenz Theatre, is located between the National Theatre and Königsbau. The neo-renaissance arcades are also found to the south of the Max-Joseph Platz. The edifice of the theatre was built by Karl Hocheder from 1950 to 1951 and later renovated by Alexander von Branca in 1981. He removed the decoration on the structure, made in 50’s style.

Travelers who enjoy opera performances should visit the National Theatre. The building is a home to the Bayerische Staatsballet and the Bayerische Staatsoper. An interesting fact is that the original structure was burned down soon after was opened to the public in 1823 but the King rebuilt it in 1825 and raised the money by taxing the beer! Destroyed once again during the Second World War, the theatre was renovated in 1988.

In the middle of the square sits the Max-Joseph Denkmal monument, designed by Christian Daniel Rauch and completed by Johann Baptist Stigmalier. As the king refused to be immortalized in stone in a sitting position, it was not until 1835 when the monument was opened.

Today, Maximilianstrasse, which is the most glamorous shopping street in Munich, begins at the Max-Joseph Platz. The statue of Maximilian can be seen at the center of the square. The king is sitting down on a throne with his right hand in a gesture of blessing. Four lions stand at the base of the statue, with events from the king’s reign depicted on both sides of the base. Some of these are the proclamation of Bavaria’s constitution, the encouragement of arts, and the development of agriculture.

A subterranean garage was built just below Max-Joseph-Platz, with its gateway somehow spoiling the square’s neo-classical look. At a walking distance from the square is the Maximilianeum, situated on the river bank of Isar. The palatial edifice was built as the home of a foundation of gifted students.

Max-Joseph Platz Opera house Munich

Where is Max-Joseph Platz: Max-Joseph Platz

How to get to Max-Joseph Platz: U-bahn U3,U4,U5,U6: Odeonplatz

Please help us build a better site. Add your comments about Max-Joseph Platz here.

User Comments about Max-Joseph Platz