San Francisco Facts
For such a lively and vibrant city, San Francisco
has a tragic, storied past. A devastating earthquake and fire almost wiped out the entire city in 1906, but you would never know it today. San Francisco has risen from the ashes in grand style to become one of the most densely populated cities in California, of 750,000 people, who are known for their commitment to environmental causes.
- San Francisco is built on 43 hills.
- Lombard Street in San Francisco is known as the “crookedest” street in the world.
- Alcatraz island is today a museum. Before it became prison is was a Military fort.
- Alcatraz famous inmates include Al Capone, Robert Stroud, Anglin Brothers.
- Golden Gate Bridge opened in 1937 and has a single span of 4200 ft (1280 km)
- Golden Gate Bridge is crosses by more than 40 million vehicles every year.